Update on the Indian Equity Market:
On Tuesday, NIFTY closed 1% down at 15,728. Top gainers in NIFTY50 were TECHM(+1.4%), SBILIFE (+0.9%), and EICHERMOT (+0.8%). The top losers were TATAMOTORS (-3.5%), JSWSTEEL (-3.1%), and HINDALCO (-2.7%). The only sector to gain was IT (+0.1%) while the top sectoral losers were METAL (-2.2%), PSU BANK (-2.0%), and BANK (-1.4%).
Decline in palm oil prices is a positive–Godrej Consumer Products
Excerpts of an interview with Mr. Sameer Shah, Head- Finance & Investor Relations, Godrej Consumer Products (GODREJCP), aired on CNBC TV18 dated 6th July 2021:
- GODREJCP released their 1QFY22 business update where they have seen high teens growth in the India business. The growth has been broad-based. There was not much gap between volume and value growth.
- GODREJCP saw marginal price-led growth due to the Personal wash and Hygiene segment. This segment forms around 40% of India business. GODREJCP is the No. 2 player in the bar soaps category. The market share gain trend in this category has played out in the last few years. There is still some opportunity left to gain more share in the next many years as well.
- New age formats in Hygiene segments such as handwash, and sanitizers are doing well. There will be some change in consumer habits and there will be a reset in the category size going ahead. GODREJCP has innovative products at attractive price points in this category.
- As a result of these factors, Personal wash and Hygiene will be an important growth segment for GODREJCP.
- Household Insecticides form 40% of India business for GODREJCP where the company is a dominant market leader. This segment had double-digit YoY growth in 1QFY22 on a very high base. Management expects the strong momentum to continue in this segment.
- International business forms 45% of GODREJCP’s overall revenue. In 1QFY22, the performance was mixed across regions. Revenue was flattish in Indonesia due to the 2nd wave of Covid-19. Management remains bullish on gradual recovery through the rest of FY22. The regions of the Middle East, Africa & the USA have shown robust performance for the past 4-5 quarters with a double-digit 2-year CAGR. Regions of LATAM and SAARC which form a smaller 4-5% share also have strong double-digit growth.
- There is a significant opportunity to increase penetration and market share in rural India. GODREJCP plans to increase its presence in rural India not just through improving distribution but also through affordable products having superior utility.
- In addition, GODREJCP plans to increase urban reach, increase productivity, and focus on growing currently smaller channels like E-commerce, B2C, and B2B.
- For inorganic opportunities, GODREJCP will be open to the wider household & personal care space in India, and existing or adjacent to existing categories in Indonesia.
- Management expects India business to have a 2-year CAGR of low double-digit going ahead.
- Palm oil prices have declined around 20%+ from the peak. If the trend continues, GODREJCP will not take further price increase which will favorably impact consumption.
- On the margins front, 1QFY22 India margins could be impacted due to higher palm oil prices during the quarter and lag of passing on costs. However, the margin pressure will be offset by export performance. Going ahead, with palm oil price coming down, operating leverage, and a favorable category mix, management remains optimistic of margin maintenance and possible expansion.
Asset Multiplier comments:
- Several consumer companies have plans to focus and expand their reach in rural India. There is increasing demand from the aspirational middle class in non-metro cities and towns.
- Reduction in palm oil prices will be a big relief to GODREJCP as their gross margins were affected in the last few quarters due to input cost inflation.
- A silver lining of the input cost pressure was that GODREJCP managed to gain market share from the smaller unorganized players as they stayed away in the high inflationary environment.
Consensus Estimate: (Source: market screener website)
- The closing price of GODREJCP was ₹ 963/- as of 8-July-2021. It traded at 52x/ 45x the consensus earnings estimate of ₹ 18.7/ 21.4 for FY22E/23E respectively.
- The consensus price target is ₹ 946/- which trades at 44x the earnings estimate for FY23E of ₹ 21.4/-
Disclaimer: “The views expressed are for information purposes only. The information provided herein should not be considered as investment advice or research recommendation. The users should rely on their own research and analysis and should consult their own investment advisors to determine the merit, risks, and suitability of the information provided.”