Excerpts from an interview of Mr Rakesh Sharma- ED- Bajaj Auto with CNBC- TV18
Update on the Indian Equity Market:
On Tuesday, NIFTY closed 0.5% lower. Among sectoral indices NIFTY PSU Bank (-2.9%), NIFTY Metal (-2.6%), and NIFTY Media (-2.4%) closed lower. While NIFTY Realty (+1.3%) and NIFTY IT (+0.5%) closed on a positive note. The biggest losers were Yes Bank (-7.6%), Bharti Infratel (-5.8%), Tata steel (-5.2%), whereas Bajaj Auto (+3.1%), Bajaj FinServ (+1.7%) and TCS (+1.6%) ended with gains.
- They do not expect the sales in the month of December to hit 4 lakhs because it is a seasonally weak month.
- Exports will continue to grow. But 3 wheelers and the domestic market will see a pullback when the model year changes.
- The company is holding steady margins and there is no sacrifice of margins.
- There is no need to shore up the sales in an unnatural way as November and December follow a high season period.
- The mix is holding steady for the company, 3-wheeler are improving and there is a gentle tailwind on the exchange rate side. So, the margins are not going to see any shift
- Speaking about international markets and exports, the international performance is steady and solid and the key driver for this has been the African continent where the economies are doing well.
- Bajaj has a competitive position in the African continent, with every 3 bikes sold one is of Bajaj.
- Bangladesh and the Philippines are acting as bright stars and are an important market for Bajaj.
- These markets are doing better than industry and are in top-10 markets for the company.
- Speaking about price hikes post BS-VI transition, Bajaj will have to look internally and externally but certainly, the prices will increase.
- Given the situation of the economy any kind of price increase will have a dampening effect on the demand.
Consensus Estimate (Source: market screener)
· The closing price of Bajaj Auto Ltd was ₹ 3261/- as of 03-December-2019. It traded at 18.5x/ 17.3x/ 16.8x the consensus EPS for FY 20E/ FY 21E/ FY 22E of ₹ 176/ 188/ 194 respectively.
· Consensus target price of ₹ 3,069/- implies a PE multiple of 15.8x on FY22E EPS of ₹ 194/-.