This week in a nutshell (Feb 8th to Feb 12th)Mrunmayee Jogalekar
- NIFTY opened the week on 8th Feb at 15,064 and closed on 12th Feb at 15,163, a weekly gain of 0.7%. The index was range-bound during the week. With RSI (69) nearing the overbought zone and MACD on a declining trend, the technical indicators show a possible decline. On the downside, 10DMA of 14,921 could act as a support. On the upside, 15,257 is the key level to watch out for as the index tried to test this level during the week but could not sustain.
- Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) continued to be net buyers in Indian equity of Rs 5,870 mn, but the quantum of inflows declined from the previous week of Rs 12,1340 mn. Conversely, Domestic Institutional Investors (DIIs) continued to be net sellers with an increased net outflow of Rs 9,560 mn vs the previous week Rs 5,643 mn.
- Sectoral updates:
- IRDAI released monthly business data for January 2021 for both Life and non-life insurance companies.
- For the General insurance industry as a whole, the growth in Gross Direct Premium Underwritten was +6.7% YoY for the month and +2.8% YoY for FY21 YTD.
- For the Life Insurance industry, the New Business Premium growth was +3.7% YoY for the month and a decline of -1.2% YoY for FY21 YTD.
Things to watch out
- The 3QFY21 results season will be nearly concluded in the coming week. With that, the result-led stock-specific movements will come to an end and the focus may again shift to macro developments.