This week in a nutshell (April 19th to April 23rd)
NIFTY opened the week on 19thApril at 14,307and closed on 23rd April at 14,341, a marginal increase of 0.2%.NIFTY has been hovering around the 100 DMA of 14,374 throughout the week. This remains the crucial level to watch out for before moving in either direction.
- FIIs continued their selling spree with a net outflow of Rs 49,870 mn during the week. DIIs continued to be net buyers as they pumped in Rs 62,250 mn in the week.
- The daily rise in covid-19 cases in India reached a record on 22ndApril when the number crossed 0.33 mn. This is the highest number of new cases recorded in a single day in the world. Several Indian states have imposed stricter restrictions or lockdowns in response. The worsening conditions have led to volatility in the equity markets.
- Government of India announced the next phase of Covid-19 vaccination drive will start from 1st May 2021. Everyone above the age of 18 will be eligible to get vaccinated. Amidst concerns over shortage of vaccines, producers have been asked to ramp up production. This is a developing scenario as there are also concerns regarding raw material procurement from the US.
- US Equity indices came off from their record highs oflast week. The indices ended the week on a lower note as reports indicated that President Biden will propose to significantly increase capital gains tax for wealthy individuals.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) reported March monthly business figures for life insurers. The industry New Business Premium (NBP) grew by 71% YoY. Mar-20 was a low base due to Covid-19 led disruption. For the quarter 4QFY21, the NBP growth was 35% YoY.
Things to watch out for next week
- The ongoing 4QFY21 result season will gain traction next week as several big companies across sectors start to report quarterly numbers. Managements’ comments over the business impact of second wave of Covid-19 will be important.