NIFTY opened the week on 26th April at 14,449 and closed on 30th April at 14,631. It made a weekly gain of 1%. The index is trading above its 20DMA of 14,618 which might act as a support. On the upside 50DMA of 14,783 might act as a resistance. The RSI (50), and MACD turning downwards suggests a further possible decline.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) capped the tenure of MDs and CEOs of private banks at 15years. Promoters can hold this post for a maximum of 12 years but the RBI can choose to give them a 3-year extension under extraordinary circumstances. These rules apply to private banks, small finance banks, and wholly-owned subsidiaries of foreign banks. These new rules will apply once the tenure of existing MDs/CEOs for which approvals have been taken is completed. This will impact banks such as Kotak Mahindra Bank, where Mr. Uday Kotak has been the head of the institution for 17 years and there could be a change in the management once his term is completed in 2024.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has directed the mutual fund (MF) industry that a fifth of the salary of top executives is to be paid in the form of mutual fund schemes they oversee. The allotment of MF units will be done every month and will be subject to a 3-year lock-in. The industry welcomed the move as it increases accountability and would ensure a better selection of securities.
- Several automobile manufacturing companies have announced plans to shut down plants for up to a fortnight from May 1. The surge in Covid-19 cases and scattered lockdowns across states and cities are the reasons attributed to the temporary shutdown. This will impact production and sales in the June-21 quarter.
- FII (Foreign Institutional Investors) selling and DII (Domestic Institutional Investors) buying trend continued this week as well. There was a net outflow of Rs 44571mn from the FII kitty while DII invested Rs 52833 mn.
Things to watch out for next week
- The Automobile companies will report monthly volume data for April-21. The data will be important to ascertain the impact of the second Covid-19 wave and lockdowns on the demand.
- The 4QFY21 result season continues in the next week as well. The Commentary from biggies such as Hero MotoCorp and HDFC will be critical.