Expect supply shortage in June-July– Maruti SuzukiMrunmayee Jogalekar
Update on the Indian Equity Market:
On Monday, Nifty closed higher (+0.7%) at 10,116. Within NIFTY50, INDUSINDBK (+10.0%), HINDALCO (+3.1%), and AXISBANK (+2.8%) were the top gainers, while HEROMOTOCO (-3.5%), GAIL (-2.9%) and COALINDIA (-2.4%) were the top losers. Among the sectoral indices, PSU BANK (+3.5%), PVT BANK (+2.1%), and Realty (+1.9%) gained the most. The losing sectors were AUTO (-1.1%), METAL (-0.6%), and MEDIA (-0.3%).
Expect supply shortage in June-July– Maruti Suzuki
Excerpts of an interview with Mr.R C Bhargava, Chairman–Maruti Suzuki published in Business Standard dated 10th June 2020:
- Maruti will not be able to assemble more than 30-40 % of normal levels of production in June. So there will be no issue in selling what is produced as he expects demand will be higher than supply in June and July.
- Maruti depends on 370-380 vendors and tier 2 and tier 3 suppliers in order to assemble cars. The supply chain is impacted if the vendors are facing issues in terms of labor, logistics, or are still in restricted zones. If the suppliers cannot produce the required components, Maruti cannot assemble cars.
- Due to this supply issue and demand being higher than supply, Mr. Bhargava does not expect that Maruti will have to sell its cars at a discount.
- However, Mr. Bhargava is not certain of the trend post-July and if the current demand scenario is only due to some pent-up demand from the lockdown period.
- As per the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) data for the month of May, the volumes saw an 88% decline. Mr. Bhargava believes that the sales will go up gradually.
Consensus Estimate: (Source: market screener and investing.com websites)
- The closing price of MARUTIwas ₹ 5,686/- as of 10-June-2020. It traded at 38.4x/ 24.6x the consensus EPS estimate of ₹ 148/ 231 for FY21E/ FY22E respectively.
- Consensus target price of ₹ 5,564/- implies a PE multiple of 24.1x on FY22E EPS of ₹ 231.
Disclaimer: “The views expressed are for information purposes only. The information provided herein should not be considered as investment advice or research recommendation. The users should rely on their own research and analysis and should consult their own investment advisors to determine the merit, risks, and suitability of the information provided.”
Leave a Reply