Green shoots visible as unlock begins – TitanAniket Khanolkar
Update on the Indian Equity Market:
On Tuesday, Nifty closed in the green at 15,869 (+0.4%). Among the sectoral indices, Realty (+1.3%), PVT Bank (+1.1%), and Media (+2.0%) closed higher. Pharma (-0.9%), PSU Bank (-0.3%), and Metal (-0.1%) closed in the red. Asian Paints (+2.9%), HDFC Life (+1.8%), and Axis Bank (+1.7%) were the top gainers. Divis Labs (-1.6%), Adani ports (-1.6%), and Coal India (-1.4%) were among the top losers.
Excerpts of an interview of Mr Ajoy Chawla, CEO, Jewellery Division, Titan with CNBC-TV18 dated 14th June 2021:
- Speaking about the shop openings, Mr Chawla said the company is focusing to reopen shops for the past 2 weeks.
- The recovery is expected to be slow, but there are green shoots visible as the unlock begins in certain states.
- Speaking about pent-up demand, he said the wedding demand is likely to come back in 2HFY22E. Wedding buying is complex and people do take time to buy.
- The company is witnessing pent-up demand for small occasion buying like birthdays, and anniversaries.
- The overall market share is in 5-6% mark from 4%, 2 years back.
- The company is gaining market share as new customers are coming in. The recovery is better in the case of a new buyer where unlock has begun.
- Independent jewellers are under stress financially. The trust factor and safety protocol are higher in organized players like Titan, which attracts more people.
- The company is targeting 100% vaccination for all partners, front line, and store staff.
- He said that few people have started buying on e-commerce channels on the digital play, which is surprising. However, the ticket size is smaller (below Rs 50,000).
- Speaking about products, he said, the gold prices have again gone up. The biggest customer need will be lightweight jewellery as the budgets don’t increase in the same proportion. The company is working on lightweights products and will launch as markets open up.
Asset Multiplier comments:
- We believe people will not postpone weddings beyond 1QFY22E as the future situation is uncertain. This might lead to higher jewelry buying from 2QFY22E.
- Stress in the organized sector might help Titan to increase its market share by adding new first-time customers.
Consensus Estimate: (Source: market screener and Investing.com website)
- The closing price of Titan Ltd was ₹ 1,722 as of 15-June 2021. It traded at 79x/62x the consensus Earnings per share estimate of ₹ 21.8/27.9 for FY22E/FY23E respectively.
- The consensus average target price is ₹ 1,532/- which implies a PE multiple of 55x on FY23E EPS of 27.9/-.
Disclaimer: “The views expressed are for information purposes only. The information provided herein should not be considered as investment advice or research recommendation. The users should rely on their own research and analysis and should consult their own investment advisors to determine the merit, risks, and suitability of the information provided.”