Focus on cash conservation & tightening capital allocation – M&MAbhishek Salunke
Update on the Indian Equity Market:
Markets remained muted amid monthly F&O expiry as Nifty closed the day 0.2% lower at 10,289. The top gainers for Nifty 50 were ITC (+5.6%), HEROMOTOCO (+2.9%) and BAJFINANCE (+1.9%) while the losing stocks for the day ASIANPAINT (-3.1%), HINDALCO (-2.3%) and IOC (-2.1%). The gaining sectors for the day were FMCG (+2.3%), PHARMA (+0.8%) and BANK (+0.4%) whereas IT (-1.2%), REALTY (-1.0%) and METAL (-0.6%) were the losing sectors for the day.
Edited excerpts of an interview with Mr Pawan Goenka, Managing Director, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M); dated 15th June 2020 from CNBC TV-18:
- Mr Goenka said that the board took a decision that the Company needs to be much tighter on capital allocation and prioritize where they want to put the money.
- M&M is looking at all the subsidiaries right now to see whether they will be turning around profitable in the next two years. The company will take the decision in the coming few months about its subsidiaries.
- Speaking about Peugeot Motorcycles, he said it was hit due to the pandemic. As per the plan, it could have been profitable during this year. However, due to COVID-19, the factories in China are down for quite some time. The company has lost the full peak season in Europe. The management will take the decision on the future of Peugeot motorcycles after reviewing its future.
- Mahindra Electric turned EBITDA positive in FY20 and the company is on the way to become profit positive or cash-flow positive in the coming quarters.
- He is confident about the strength of the balance sheet to fight the pandemic. The company holds a fairly strong cash position with more than Rs 100,000 mn cash on its balance sheet.
- In the near term, the company’s primary objective is to find a third party investor in Korean manufacturer SsangYong as it is in need of cash for survival.
- The company reported a consolidated net loss of Rs 32,550 mn during the 4QFY20 due to the COVID-19. In the tough economic period, the company is looking to focus on capital allocation strategies.
Consensus Estimate: (Source: market screener, investing website)
- The closing price of M&M Ltd was ₹507/- as of 25-June-2020. It traded at 20x/ 15x the consensus EPS estimate of ₹ 25.3/ 33.6 for FY21E/ FY22E respectively.
- The consensus target price of ₹ 558/- implies a PE multiple of 17x on FY22E EPS of ₹ 33.6/-.
Disclaimer: “The views expressed are for information purposes only. The information provided herein should not be considered as investment advice or research recommendation. The users should rely on their own research and analysis and should consult their own investment advisors to determine the merit, risks, and suitability of the information provided.”
Leave a Reply