Bajaj Auto: Price hike of 1% across the sports segment, 5% in Dominar 400 and Pulsar 150Mrunmayee Jogalekar
Update on Indian Equity Market
A slew of fiscal measures announced by the Finance Minister on Friday morning led to a strong rally in Indian equities. The crown jewel of the fiscal stimulus package was the cut in corporate tax rate from effective 30% to effective 22% plus surcharge (net 25%) for all domestic corporates. The announcement of tax cut led to increased street earnings estimates across sectors. The surcharge on capital gains made on equity that was announced in the Budget has also been withdrawn. Nifty closed 5.3% higher at 11,274. The rally was led by NIFTY AUTO (+9.9%), NIFTY BANK (+8.3%) and NIFTY FINSERV (7.2%). All indices except NIFTY IT (-0.9%) ended in the green.
Bajaj Auto: Price hike of 1% across the sports segment, 5% in Dominar 400 and Pulsar 150
(Highlights from interview hosted on CNBC)
- Bajaj Auto has been market leader in the sports segment for the past 15 months and even gained market share. Market share of the sports segment is now between 35-40%.
- Bajaj Auto has taken a price hike across SKUs in the sports segment. Price hike across SKUs is about 1% except 2 products. 5% hike each in Pulsar 150 (passed on ABS cost which was absorbed by co. till now) and Dominar 400.
- Bajaj Auto is 2nd after Hero in terms of market share in the commuter segment. They don’t see pricing power in the commuter segment, hence haven’t been able to take any price hikes there except in one SKU (5% share of total volumes hence negligible impact).
- The government should clearly convey there is no GST cut on cards as right now there is a detrimental effect on the channel. Some customers are waiting in anticipation of a GST cut which is not helping at all.
- In terms of discounts, Rajiv Bajaj said, “I expect from Hero a mother of all schemes to start very soon towards the end of this month because unless they liquidate over a million BS-IV vehicles, they are going to have trouble with BS-VI just around the corner. So I think the industry will be shaken up by a huge promotion by the market leader and in anticipation, we have to be ready for that.”
- 3 years ago when the industry was shifting from BS-III to BS-IV, discounts ranged from Rs. 3,000 to 20,000. Not in such a panic stage this time. But there is a need to be prepared for significant impact as the channel is bursting with stock.
Consensus Estimate (Source: market screener website)
- The closing price of Bajaj Auto was ₹ 2,739/- as of 20-September-19. It traded at 17x / 15x the consensus EPS for FY20E/ FY21E of ₹ 161 / 178 respectively.
- Consensus target price of ₹ 2,687/- implies a PE multiple of 15x on FY21E EPS of ₹ 178/-