Product Development for Next-Gen EVs under Focus – Sona ComstarPratik Mate
Update on the Indian Equity Market:
After Monday’s freefall, Indian equities recovered on Tueday as the NIFTY 50 closed at 16,771 (+0.9%). None of the sectoral indices ended with losses. METAL (+2.9%), MEDIA (+2.5%), and CONSUMER DURABLES (+2.0%) were the best performers of the day.
Among the NIFTY 50 components, HCLTECH (+4.3%), WIPRO (+3.8%), and UPL (+3.6%) were the gainers. POWERGRID (-1.7%), AXISBANK (-1.1%), and BAJFINANCE (-0.7%) led the laggards.
Excerpts of an interview with Mr. Sunjay Kapur, Chairman of Sona Comstar with CNBC-TV18 on 20th December 2021:
- Sona Comstar has inaugurated a new state of art research and innovation center in Chennai. This facility is dedicated solely to electric vehicles with an aim to foster the development of advanced products for next-generation electrified vehicles.
- The semi-conductor shortage situation has not improved much over the past few weeks, as the number of chips required per vehicle are increasing as OEMs shift focus towards more digitally integrated systems in vehicles.
- This is a trend across other industries as well, where the demand for more complex and efficient chips is increasing, adding to the supply issues. Currently, the Auto industry consumes 7% of semiconductor supply, which is slated to go up to 20% in the next 5 years.
- There’s no immediate relief in sight as there’s no anticipation of a slowdown in demand, so until the supply catches up this issue will persist in the medium term.
- Logistics, CIF, and Raw Material Inflation are near-term headwinds for the company, the demand persists the challenge lies in solving the supply-side issues in the medium term.
- The company has set up a state-of-the-art Testing and R&D Facility in Chennai to develop 30-50 Kw Motors and Controllers for EVs. The company is in talks with global OEMs to gauge the demand arising from a shift towards EVs.
- Conversion from ICE to EVs in terms of the 2 Wheeler market provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for all auto-ancillary companies. The company believes that in a market of this size, competition can co-exist with significant market share
Asset Multiplier Comments
- The shift to EVs provides a massive growth opportunity for all auto and auto ancillary companies and Sona Comstar is perfectly placed to take advantage of its unique R&D-led product portfolio.
- The Auto Industry is reeling from the semi-conductor shortage crisis and with no respite in sight, we believe the company will be under pressure in the medium term until the supply side issues are sorted out.
Consensus Estimate: (Source: market screener and investing.com websites)
- The closing price of Sona Comstar was ₹ 709/- as of 21-December-2021. It traded at 118x/ 75x the EPS estimates of ₹ 6.0/ 9.5/- for FY22E/FY23E respectively.
- The consensus target price of ₹ 708/- implies a P/E Multiple of 75x on FY23 EPS estimate of ₹ 9.5/-.
Disclaimer: “The views expressed are for information purposes only. The information provided herein should not be considered as investment advice or research recommendation. The users should rely on their own research and analysis and should consult their own investment advisors to determine the merit, risks, and suitability of the information provided.”