May look to raise funds in 2HFY22E: Federal BankAbhishek Salunke
Update on Indian Equity Market:
On Wednesday, markets closed lower as Nifty ended the day 0.7% lower at 15,209. Within the index, HEROMOTO (3.5%), BPCL (2.9%), and SBIN (2.8%) were the highest gainers while NESTLEIND (-3.0%), ASIANPAINT (-2.6%), and MARUTI (-1.4%) were the laggards. Among the sectoral indices, PSUBANK (5.9%), MEDIA (2.2%), and AUTO (0.8%) led the gainers while PHARMA (-1.7%), IT (-1.3%), and FIN SERVICE (-1.1%) were the losing sectors.
Excerpts of an interview with Mr Shyam Srinivasan, MD & CEO, Federal Bank (FEDRALBNK) with CNBC -TV18 dated 16th February 2021:
- Retail business is almost back to pre-COVID levels across category and geographies. He believes that the bank is expected to achieve growth in mid-teen percentage for CY21E in the loan book for this segment.
- The worst is over from an economic standpoint and the banking industry is expected to deliver YoY growth of 10 percent in CY21E. The bank is expected to deliver above industry growth in the same period. FY21E loan book is expected to deliver 8% YoY growth.
- The bank is applying conservative approach in capital consumption. The bank is well capitalized at the juncture. There might be an opportunity for a capital raise towards the second half of CY21E.
- The bank is well placed on asset quality. The continued recovery in the economy is expected to provide better run for the asset quality in the future quarters. All indicators currently suggest that there will be a better outcome regarding asset quality.
- He mentioned that collection efficiencies have picked up materially as the bank is reporting month-on-month recovery in collections. The bank foresees that trend to continue.
- The Net Interest Margin (NIM) is expected to be in the current zone of 3.2-3.3% in the coming quarters. The blended cost of funds and yield on new assets resulted in expansion in NIM during 3QFY21 for the bank.
Asset Multiplier Comments:
- With the pick-up in economic activities, the improvement in collection efficiency augurs well for the banking industry. This will strengthen the asset quality as per the expectation of management.
- With the recent rally in the shares of banking stocks, the environment is favorable for capital raising as the dilution will be comparatively lesser.
- The banks are currently getting benefit of lower cost of funds compared to a year ago, resulting in stable or increasing NIMs. Once the interest rates start moving up, banks could either see NIM compression or increase the yield on loans to maintain current levels.
Consensus Estimates (Source: market screener and investing.com websites):
- The closing price of FEDERALBNK was ₹ 88/- as of 17-February-2021. It traded at 1.1x/ 1.0x/ 0.9x the consensus book value estimate of ₹ 79.5/ 87.2/ 96.7 for FY21E/22E/23E respectively.
- The consensus price target is ₹ 90/- which trades at 0.9x the book value estimate for FY23E of ₹ 96.7/-
Disclaimer: “The views expressed are for information purposes only. The information provided herein should not be considered as investment advice or research recommendation. The users should rely on their own research and analysis and should consult their own investment advisors to determine the merit, risks, and suitability of the information provided.”