Focus on vertical strengthening of product portfolio, market momentum expected in Q4: Sunil Bothra, Minda IndustriesMaitreyee Vaishampayan
Update on the Indian Equity Market:
On Thursday, Nifty closed 0.7% lower at 12,126. Among the stocks, ONGC(+2.5%), Vedanta (+1.9%) and JSW Steel (+1.0%) were the gainers. Yes Bank (-4.4%), Bharti Airtel (-2.0%), and Reliance (-1.9%) ended in the red. Nifty Media (+0.1%) and Nifty Metal (+0.6%) were the only sectors which ended in the positive. Nifty PSU Bank (-1.5%), Nifty Pharma (-0.9%) and Nifty Bank (-0.9%) were the worst-performing sectors.
Focus on vertical strengthening of product portfolio, market momentum expected in Q4: Sunil Bothra, Minda Industries
Excerpts from an interview with Mr Sunil Bothra, Executive Director and Group Chief Financial Officer, Minda Industries:
- The existing sensor business is more than 5 years old and as part of their strategy, they are in a long-term partnership with Sensata Technologies.
- Sensata, which was previously Texas Instruments have many businesses which are into defence and other technologies.
- Minda Industries has entered into an agreement with Sensata to acquire the wheel speed sensor business. The agreement will help to acquire the customer base in India and South Korea and will also make global opportunities available.
- Although the acquisition cost only ₹ 45 crore, it is expected to generate an additional revenue of ₹100-120 crore in the next four years. With this acquisition, the fresh investment in the sensor business will reach ₹ 145 crore and it is expected to generate revenue of ₹ 500-600 crore in the next 4-5 years.
- The company has been focussing on vertically strengthening the product portfolio, which they have done by undertaking small acquisitions. Now that they have more than 30 businesses or products, the focus is on strengthening their technological capability and offering to the OEs.
- The recently concluded acquisition of Delvis will help strengthen their technology position in 4-wheeler lamps, thereby strengthening the sensor business.
- Talking about the demand, he said the company has seen some green shoots in October, which led to a little increase in volume in a few original equipment manufacturers in November.
- Since December is generally a lean period, Q3 is not very bullish as compared to Q2.
- Some market momentum is expected in Q4. But they will have to wait and see how the market pans out post the BS-VI launch from April 1, since there will be price impact of 10-12%.
- If they are able to increase their kit value per car or 2-wheeler or OE in Q4, they are hopeful of continuing the overperformance in the near future.
Consensus Estimate: (Source: market screener website)
- The closing price of Minda Industries was ₹ 348 /- as of 26-December-19. It traded at 32.8 x/ 23.4x / 18.5x the consensus EPS estimate for FY20E/ FY21E/ FY22E of ₹ 10.6/14.9 /18.8 respectively.
- Consensus target price of ₹ 383/- implies a PE multiple of 20.4x on FY22E EPS of ₹ 18.8/-.
Leave a Reply